Thursday, January 23, 2014

DAYS 1 - 3: GETTING THERE BETTER NOT BE HALF THE FUN!

I'm gonna be honest. I have no idea what day it is at home, what time it is here, or which way the toilet water swirls. We've eaten at least five breakfasts since we left ...was it yesterday? I'm on yogurt strike today. We haven't had much time to stop and blog but wanted to make sure you all know we got here in one piece--well, four pieces, actually, which brings me to my next point. 


Karen and Steve Sisselman are awesome travel companions! Look at these two lovebirds holding hands through the airport! Awww! 






And here they are in their cubbies settling in for the long flight from San Francisco to Auckland...

After two long days of travel together, when we finally went our separate ways as couples to take that blessed first shower in the Land Down Under, I believe we were all just a little sad to say goodbye...at least, I was.

The girls at lunch

We weren't separated for long though, because Larry was hungry, and it was lunch time somewhere! We met Denise (half of the Goodmans, good friends of Karen and Steve- and now us!) for lunch in Southgate along the beautiful Yarra River. 


Larry got pretty adventurous with "mutt crab" or did he say, "mud crap"? I swear I cannot understand these people down here. They're nice and they smile a LOT but no idea what they're saying!

Steve found his new dream car after lunch- not quite sure how he's getting it home...


This was a cool little "pop-up" party where people were sitting outside in big cushy pillows on astroturf watching the Open on a huge screen. Festive! 

Here are Andy and Denise in their new place- the 17th floor of Eureka Towers (so-called for the gold rush. They were such great hosts, treating us to the Skydeck on the 88th floor of their building. Great views of Melbourne, including the tennis center and cricket field (MCG)


Tennis Center and MCG



Panoramic view from Larry's phone!


Dinner at Gingerboy was an adventure. We decided to let the waiter decide for us. 


This is the dessert assortment after we finished with them (Sorry, next time I'll try to remember to photograph first, eat second!)
BATMAN AVENUE! (We'll look for Robin today)

Outside the tennis, there's a big concrete "beach" where the Aussies were out watching Wawrinka and Berdych's match last night. 

LOVED this--pianos all around the city labeled "Play me. I'm yours." 


Sunset over the Yarra River




We thought this bird might have been a kiwi lost from home (you know, New Zealand is a different country, mate!)...

but no. Just to be sure, I took a picture of these kiwis at breakfast.

We all turned in early for our 4:30 am balloon ride, but it was canceled for rain and lightning (our third attempt, but we're trying again on Sunday!). Today, I'm meeting one of my "writer friends" from Melbourne (I don't think Flippy is her real name) and it's men's semifinals at the Australian Open tonight. Our group is split 3-1 for Nadal. Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. I'm in stitches that you've eaten 5 breakfasts. Only you, B!! Sounds like a blast. Stay safe and enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you're having fun....keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, B!

    I'm going to catch up and follow along.

    ReplyDelete